Sunday, June 05, 2005

Why India, and Why NOW?

I heard these questions throughout my month long trip - this is the hottest season in India - with temperatures reaching over 104 degrees (F) in many places.
Many people get out now if they can. Many others go north to the mountains where it is cooler.

I have wanted to go to India for many years. There were several ashrams I wanted to visit, and I just wanted to experience what this culture was like. Being a single, 49 year old woman, no longer as brave as I was when I was younger, I didn't want to go alone the first time. But several possiblities for travelling with someone else fell through, and it seemed like this was the time in my life to do it. I had just sold my house, and with still no idea of what to do next in my life, India seemed a good option, and maybe some spiritual practise would help me gain clarity.

Even though it was desperately hot, the bonus was finding out it was Mango season. If I had to choose only one food to live on - Mangos would be one of the top three contenders.

3 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Rosana Hart said...

And the other two top contenders? One of mine would be avacadoes...

Rosana

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... mangoes, avocados and cashews!! We'd be set!!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Hi Roni! Maybe this time of year is better anyway, because of fewer people being around. I think it's a perfect thing to do with your in-between time after selling the house.

My vote for perfect food would be Chocolate Chip Cookies! So Mangoes and chocolate chip cookies would be just fine.

Except that I remember the taste and smell of the hot cereal they served us in the ashram in New Delhi every morning. It was heavenly, made from fresh (wheat?)harvested the day before. Unbelieveable taste.

Maybe I'll see ya when you get back. I wonder where you will land next. love, Bonnie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home